You have no items in your bag
How to Change Up Your Skincare Routine in the Summer
Skincare Tips for Summer
It’s probably not too surprising to hear that the summer sun can wreak havoc on your skin. As the weather and conditions around you change, so should your beauty and skincare routine.
Before you pack your bags for those sunny beach days, send out invites for your backyard BBQs, and get poolside party-ready, review our skincare tips for setting your skin up for summer success!
- SPF all day, every day and reapply: Summer weather likely means you’ll be spending more time outdoors, which means you need to stay on top of your sunscreen regimen. Look for a full coverage broad spectrum SPF, but also consider how your choice in sunscreen can help to preserve our oceans and marine life. Look for "reef friendly" sunscreens that do not contain harmful chemicals like oxybenzone and octinoxate and make sure to reapply every couple of hours, especially after sweating or being in the water.
- Use a lightweight, oil-free cleanser: with the added heat, your skin will likely produce extra oil and sweat, so opt for a gentle cleanser like our 5-star rated sulfate-free Gentle Cleanser.
- Cool down and hydrate with a facial mist: a soothing facial mist can provide a quick hit of hydration, offer relief during particularly hot days, and is usually easy to tote around in your beach or travel bag. When possible, pop that mist in the fridge before spritzing for added refreshment!
- Lighten up on the moisturizer: similar to your summer-friendly cleanser, swap your heavier cream moisturizer you may have used during the winter, for a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer like our Ultra Nourishing Moisturizer. Formulated to work on all skin types, this moisturizer also offers key botanicals to help calm the skin.
- Lips are skin too: often overlooked, our lips need SPF too so keep an SPF lip balm with you at all times, and make sure to reapply throughout the day.
- Switch to cold showers: not only does a cold shower on a hot day feel amazing, but it’s also actually better for your skin too. When you take a hot shower, you can strip moisture from your skin as your pores enlarge and are more susceptible to the environment, so opt instead for cool or lukewarm water whenever possible, but especially during the summer.
- Eyes on the prize: because your eyes have such thin, delicate skin, you should be extra careful of their exposure during the summer months. Apply a restorative eye cream day and night, and wear big sunglasses and hats to shade your face and eyes whenever possible.
- Faux tanning: as desirable as glowing, tanned skin is, it’s simply not worth the risk to damage your skin to achieve it. Opt for a faux glow whenever possible and avoid tanning beds and laying out on the beach this summer.
- Add antioxidants to your skincare regimen: look for an antioxidant-rich skincare powerhouse like our Regenerating Skin Complex with TriHex Technology® which has anti-aging benefits and is a great all-around skincare product to add to your routine year-round.
- Be careful how you treat pigmentation: during the summer when you’re exposed to the sun more than the rest of the year, consider the skincare products you’re using to treat pigmentation. Though retinol is great to help with uneven skin tones and pigmentation most of the year, it can react to the sun causing more pigmentation than helping it.
- Makeup with SPF: look for a foundation with SPF of 30 or higher, or better yet opt for SPF with a tint color as your summer foundation for a more natural look!
Body Skincare for Summer
Hotter temps mean less clothing, so show some love to your body’s skin too! Protect your face AND body with a dermatologist-approved broad spectrum sunscreen, but also be sure to exfoliate (dry brushing works great!) and moisturize your body as well. You might also add a body skincare product that can help improve the appearance of skin texture, firmness, crepiness to ensure that you look great poolside!
Having a complete and customized skincare plan year-round is crucial to achieving that summer glow. So glow on, and enjoy summer!
Powerful sun protection with a hint of tint.
Designed to help calm, nourish, and hydrate skin.