You have no items in your bag
How to Get Glowing Skin, Worthy Of The Red Carpet
Expert Skincare Tips For Runway-Worthy Glowing Skin
In honor of New York Fashion Week, we’ve compiled our best skin care tips to outline for you how you can achieve a super modelesque glow that will make you want to strut your own stuff down the runway or even just the hallway for that matter.
Glowing Skin Is A Marathon, Not A Sprint
Though it may seem like most models are flaunting flawless, I-just-woke-up-like-this skin 24-7 even while running errands to the local farmer’s market, they’re probably not. And frankly, it doesn’t happen overnight, and definitely not on-set moments before a big show.
Models are playing the long game to prepare their skin and bodies to be runway-ready.
Besides envious genetics, most models are adhering to rigorous workouts, strict eating plans, and most certainly, disciplined skin care regimens.
Their regimens likely involve both daily skincare maintenance as well as targeted treatments performed by a healthcare provider, like Fraxel laser resurfacing, chemical peels, microneedling, body skin tightening, injectables, and more!
We recently published another article on the skincare products you should be using every day, but for a quick recap here’s how you should be building your skincare regimen for both AM and PM routines…
AM Skincare Regimen
- Cleanser: a sulfate-free cleanser that can remove impurities from your skin without causing dryness or irritation. The critical consideration for your cleanser is to use an oil-free formulation so as not to disrupt your skin’s natural moisture balance.
- Eye Cream: recently named “the best eye cream out there” by InStyle in 2019, the Restorative Eye Treatment with TriHex Technology® should be a staple in everyone’s daily skincare regimen over the age of 25.
- Anti-Aging Skincare: strengthen skin and combat the appearance of visible signs of aging on the face with a potent formula designed to help protect the skin from further damage and help to restore volume to plump up thinning skin - something that happens to everyone as you age! The Restorative Skin Complex with TriHex Technology® helps skin get its snapback, plus it’s cruelty free, paraben free, and works with the skin to clear our damaged elastin and collagen. You should be using all of your targeted anti-aging skincare twice a day, which includes your eye cream and neck cream as well. The great part about the ALASTIN Skincare products is that they feature TriHex Technology® which addresses the full cycle your skin encounters to Remove, Rebuild, and Replenish - learn more about ALASTIN's innovative patented TriHex Technology®.
- Broad Spectrum Tinted SPF Sunscreen: daily protection from UVA and UVB rays is your best weapon against signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation.
- Daily Body Skincare: help address crepey skin on your arms and legs with daily body skincare, especially if you show a lot of skin. The award-winning TransFORM Body Treatment with TriHex Technology® is rated five stars is designed specifically to support the skin’s natural production of new elastin and collagen to address the appearance of skin texture and crepiness on the body.
PM Skincare Regimen
- Cleanser: as your mother probably taught you, you should always wash your face before you lay down to sleep! Our ALASTIN Skincare Gentle Cleanser is a great option for both day and night with its calming antioxidants and ability to thoroughly remove environmental pollutants and makeup for a fresh face before you end your day.
- Targeted Skin Treatments: the evening is a great time to re-apply targeted treatments for your face, neck, and eyes to allow your skin to get the maximum benefits during your skin’s natural cycle while you sleep. “All day, skin works hard to protect itself from constant attack, but while we're sleeping skin switches into 'recovery mode,' a time of intense repair and regeneration,” as detailed on Byrdie.com. “In fact, at this time, the regeneration process can be up to three times faster than during the day,” which makes it a great time to apply targeted treatments for maximum benefits. For this reason, after cleansing, you should apply your anti-aging skincare, eye cream, and neck cream treatments and let them work their magic all night.
- Retinol: another trick of the trade is to make retinol your best friend. Most models and celebrities likely have a retinol in their beauty arsenal as one of the powerhouse skincare products that is known to help address signs of skin aging, acne, and improve skin texture and tone. The ALASTIN Skincare Renewal Retinol is a particularly favored retinol for its formulation which encapsulates the active retinol in a solid lipid, resulting in anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant skincare product that healthcare providers agree makes is a top choice for most skin types including sensitive skin.
- Moisturizer: with age comes lost moisture in our skin so you’ll want to have a hydrating, oil-free moisturizer on-hand for daily maintenance. The Ultra Nourishing Moisturizer with TriHex Technology® from ALASTIN Skincare® also offers anti-aging benefits in its patented technology which is designed to work with the skin to clear out damaged elastin and collagen proteins to support the skin’s natural ability to produce new elastin and collagen.
In addition to your daily skincare regimen, you should be scheduling regular visits to your healthcare provider for skin treatments to support your beauty goals. You’ll talk about age, lifestyle, skin concerns, seasonality, and so much more! But ultimately your healthcare provider will help you identify the right skincare procedures that are right for you. If you don’t have a local healthcare provider, try our easy-to-use healthcare provider search tool to find one.
Some additional considerations are downtime and recovery for skincare procedures. If you really were planning to strut your stuff down the catwalk, you wouldn’t be trying a laser resurfacing procedure days before the show.
But even if you aren’t planning to be photographed and simply want to get back to your normal routine as quickly as possible after a skin treatment, there are steps you can take to ensure not only the best results from your investment but the quickest downtime as well.
We’ve compiled our best advice for post-procedure skin care in this article but we’ll give you the cliff notes here:
- Minimize sun exposure: again SPF is going to be your new BFF if it isn’t already! Post-procedure skin is particularly susceptible to sun damage so stay out of the sun as much as possible.
- Support skin recovery post-procedure: the ALASTIN Skincare Regenerating Skin Nectar with TriHex Technology® is far and away healthcare provider’s top choice for post-procedure skin. Designed specifically to support the skin, before, during and after cosmetic procedures , this science-backed skincare is rated five stars by both patients and physicians and has the before and after images to prove it.
- Pair body procedures with body skincare: the award-winning TransFORM Body Treatment with TriHex Technology® was NewBeauty’s innovative skincare award winner in 2019 for its proven ability to accelerate and enhance visible results from body-sculpting procedures like CoolSculpting® and even works great as daily body skincare to improve the appearance of skin texture and crepiness.
So you’re doing your part in the months and weeks leading up to your big event, but what can you do in the near-term to look your best?
Achieve Glowing Skin For Your Next Big Event
Photo courtesy of Amy Lewis Dermatology.
Though for the most part, glowing skin is dependent on your long-term adherence to a customized and complete skincare plan, there are also steps you can take in the weeks leading up to a special event or big day when you need to look your best!
One of the most popular go-to treatments models and celebrities use to put their best face forward is to receive a dermal filler or toxin injection to address a very specific skin concern. Or you can get a vampire facial (Thanks, Kim Kardashian!) for new collagen production and fresh skin cells. While they can be an effective way to treat fine lines, wrinkles, and other skin concerns with fairly quick results, they can also benefit from post-procedure care to improve results and reduce downtime.
In the past, there have been few solutions available to help address the post-injection swelling and bruising that is known to occur at the injection site. But now in 2020, the INhance Post-Injection Serum with TriHex Technology® is available to minimize side effects, reduce downtime and improve skin hydration and plumpness. In fact, 81% of patients had less bruising at Day 2 and 3 when using INhance vs the comparator* and healthcare providers are taking notice…
“ALASTIN INhance delivers, leading to quicker elimination of swelling and bruising, while using clinically-proven TriHex Technology® to enhance the production of collagen and elastin” according to Dr. Melanie Palm of the Art of Skin MD. Though this product is new to the market, early adopters are sharing their experience and have found the results to be significant!
“Best Invention Ever! I just had lip fillers and this is an absolute game changer. Thank you ALASTIN for creating such an incredible easy-to-use, fast-results skincare product.” - Sara J., real ALASTIN Skincare customer. Read more reviews for ALASTIN Skincare® products!
Many top models are also using trade secrets like these to ensure they look their best before they walk the runway:
- Rejuvenating eye masks to help combat post-travel puffiness and swelling.
- Hydration, hydration, hydration! Drinking your daily recommended intake of water will help ensure plump, glowing skin.
- Beauty rest. Not always possible, but getting your full 8 hours of sleep will go a long way toward glowing skin.
- Facial massages, using fingertips or the latest trending tool, to boost circulation and blood flow while also releasing lymphatic drainage and toxins from the skin.
- Extractions by a licensed aesthetician to remove white and blackheads for close-up readiness.
- Collagen-boosting LED light therapy treatments.
For day-of glowing skin prep, use the HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36 which offers a beautiful universal tint appropriate for most skin tones to provide the perfect, glowing canvas that works both under makeup, or on its own.
While this list isn’t exhaustive, hopefully, it’s not exhausting. But it is a great start, and if you want to look great, you’ll likely have to make an effort to do your homework, make the investment, and stay disciplined because glowing skin is worth it!
Stay In The Glow!
Join the A-List to stay in the glow with the latest beauty and skincare trends, products, and procedures.
*Data on file. Results may vary.
Article Reviewed by Wendy Johnson
Vice President, Marketing
Wendy Johnson brings to Alastin Skincare over 22 years of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and aesthetics industry experience in various sales, training, marketing and thought leader development roles.
After spending 10 years in gastroenterology at Tap Pharmaceuticals and Prometheus Laboratories, with sales and marketing oversight for in-line and pre-launch products, Mrs. Johnson transitioned to an aesthetic career at SkinMedica in 2004. While there, she was responsible for marketing one of the top 2 branded prescription hydroquinones, launching a leading branded low potency steroid, and oversight of the acne franchise line extensions.
In 2010, Wendy joined Merz North America where she developed and managed the Physician Relations department in support of injectable, topical and device business units under Medical Affairs, before transitioning into managing a Regional Aesthetics Marketing team.
Ultra Nourishing Moisturizer
with TriHex Technology®
Designed to help calm, nourish, and hydrate skin.
INhance Post-Injection Serum
with TriHex Technology®
Accelerate recovery from post-injection bruising and swelling
HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36
Powerful sun protection with a hint of tint.
Join the A-List
Stay in the glow with the latest beauty and skincare trends, products, and procedures.